Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Rui Admitted to Being a Mercenary Trainee and Drug Dealer


Banjul, The Gambia (TNBES) The Second Prosecution Witness in the on-going treason trial
involving the State, Lt. General Lang Tombong Tamba and seven others, Rui Jabbi Gassama admitted to being a drug dealer, during cross-examination by Defence Counsel Pap Cheyassin Secka on Thursday 1st April, 2010 at the High Court in Banjul.
Lawyer Secka put it to PW2 that he deals in drug seized from other people by the Government of Guinea Bissau and in reply, Rui Jabbi admitted that Minister of Interior, the late Basiru Darboe, Minister of Defence and the Chief of Defence Staff of Guinea Bissau are all his friends and have been giving him drugs to sell.

He also told the court that he got drugs from many other people ‘because the market is wide among us (his drug trade compatriots).’

Lawyer Secka: Did you train any Mercenaries before the one you allegedly said to have conducted?

Gassama: Yes

Lawyer Secka: where did you train them?

Gassama: Hunder hill Issmisses, Freetown, Sierra Leone.

Lawyer Secka: Do you know the size of The Gambia Armed Forces?

Gassama: I do not know.

Lawyer Secka: Am putting it to you that the size of the GAF is over 5,000 men?

Gassama: No

Lawyer Secka: Was Lang Tombong the CDS at the time Ngorr Secka was telling you about the coup plot?

Lawyer Secka: Did you also know that at one time you spoke to Ngorr Secka, Lang Tombong and BO Badjie whether they had already left the service?

Gassama: The time I spoke with Ngorr Secka, he told me that they left their positions.

Lawyer Secka: Did you say that Lang Tombong and BO Badjie have friends in the army and NIA who can carry the job of the alleged coup?

Gassama: Yes

Lawyer Secka: In your alleged so-called training of Mercenaries, did you have any training manual?

Gassama: None, I took everything from my head or brain.

Lawyer Secka: Do you have any programme of the training?

Gassama: Yes, we have a training programme.

Lawyer Secka: Did you assess the competent level of the three hundred Mercenaries?

Gassama: Yes, I had.

Lawyer Secka: These training exercise, did it involved target practicing?

Gassama: Yes.

Lawyer Secka: During the target practicing did you used life or blank ammunition?

Gassama: For machine guns, we have blank, but with mortar 120 and 80 we were not having the blank.

Lawyer Secka: what did you have for the mortar?

Gassama: Real-explosive.

Lawyer Secka: Can you estimate to the court how many times you trained with mortars during the forty-five days training period?

Gassama: I can’t remember.

Lawyer Secka: Let me help, it is 10 times or more than that.

Gassama: I said, I cannot remember.

Lawyer Secka: Did you say, right from the beginning your intention was to know everything about the coup so that you can reveal it?

Gassama: Yes.

Lawyer Secka: You said that you, you took them to Samaritan restaurant where you met with Ngorr Secka?

Gassama: I did not say that.

Lawyer Secka: Was the pictures of the restaurant taken in your presence?

Gassama: No.

Lawyer Secka: Did you go with the authorities of Guinea Bissau and The Gambia to see the boat?

Gassama: No.

Lawyer Secka: Did you go any where with the joint investigating team in Guinea Bissau?

Gassama: No, I did not.

Lawyer Secka: Do you have any place were you kept your arms and ammunition during the training period?

Gassama: The arms and ammunition were with us at the training ground.

Lawyer Secka: Do you have them lading about or you have a store?

Gassama: The arms were lading with us on the ground.

Lawyer Secka: Do you have toilet facilities on your training ground?

Gassama: It is in the bush.

Lawyer Secka: D id you said that Ngorr Secka used to bring food to the training ground every Friday?

Gassama: Yes, I said it.

Lawyer Secka: You admitted that you took photos of the boat?

Gassama: I did not take any photograph.

Lawyer Secka: Did you said, that when you visited the boat with Rui Jamass the picture of the boat was taken?

Gassama: I never said that.

Lawyer Secka: Did you said, that Rui Jamass gave you the photograph of the boat?

Gassama: He never gave any photograph.

Lawyer Secka: Did you said, you traveled with Rui Jamass to see the boat?

Gassama: Yes.

Lawyer Secka: Did you have any photograph of the training site, the trainee, or arms and ammunition?

Gassama: No, I did not.

Lawyer Secka: Apart from your verbal statement, did you have anything to saw, to the court that such camp exist?

Gassama: No.

Lawyer Secka: I remind you that since the beginning your intention was to reveal the secret of the alleged coup plot.

Gassama: Yes.

Lawyer Secka: And you thought is important to saw the securities the boat that was to carry the arms and ammunition, but you did not have anything to saw them the
training ground?

Gassama: At that, moment was over.

Lawyer Secka: Did you take any authorities of Guinea and The Gambia to the training ground?

Gassama: I did not go with them anywhere.

Lawyer Secka: Am putting it to you that you did not take them to the training ground because it never exists?

Gassama: No.

Lawyer Secka: Am putting it to you that you did not take them to the ground because it did not exist; it is your own imagination?

Gassama: No, it is not.

Lawyer Secka: Do you know the recent history of Guinea Bissau, in particular especially during the bush war for independent?

Gassama: I did not know.

Lawyer Secka: Do you know that as a result the security forces of Guinea Bissau know every inch of that territory?

Gassama: Yes, I know.

Lawyer Secka: You also told the court that the side of the training camp was Bamba-dinga between the border of Guinea Bissau and Guinea Conakry.

Gassama: Yes.

Lawyer Secka: Do you want the court to belief that you conduct an authorize training without a licence in the Guinean territory without them seeing you?

Gassama: Yes.

Lawyer Secka: When did the training started?

Gassama: I cannot remember.

Lawyer Secka: When did it end? I cannot remember.

You told the court that, you were paid thirty thousand Euros to train those mercenaries?

Gassama: Yes, I said it.

Lawyer Secka: I am putting it to you that it means you were paid one hundred euros per trainee?

Gassama: Yes, I was given 30,000 euros and extra 5000 euros to encourage me.

Lawyer Secka: Do you remember making a statement on 16th December 2009 at the NIA Headquarters?

Gassama: Yes.

Lawyer Secka: You said in that statement you did not meet Lang Tombong and BO Badjie in The Gambia?

Gassama: I meet them in The Gambia.

Lawyer Secka: Did you say you did not meet them in The Gambia in your 16th December 2009 Statement?

Gassama: I cannot remember the date but I meet them by the time I came to The Gambia.

Lawyer Secka: Mr. Jabbi, where do you make your statement on the 16th, 23rd December 2009?

Gassama: At the National Intelligence Agency.

Lawyer Secka: But you said that at the detention centre in Bissau on the 17th December, 2009; ‘The Gambian and Guinean authorities saw
me a photo album to identified two men that am working with in Bissau?’

Gassama: Oh yes.

Lawyer Secka: In that statement, did you say you identified Ngorr Secka and Kaburo Saidy in that album?

Gassama: Yes.

Lawyer Secka: you said that the time you came to The Gambia you go straight to State

House and met one captain Jallow?

Gassama: Yes, I said so.

Lawyer Secka: This report, was it before the training or after the training?

Gassama: It was after the training.

Lawyer Secka: When was the report?

Gassama: I cannot remember the day and the date.

Lawyer Secka: Can you remember whether it was in September, October or December 2009?

Gassama: I know it was 2009, but I cannot remember the date.

Lawyer Secka: Can you tell the interval of the meeting you allegedly mention in your statement?

Gassama: I cannot remember.

Lawyer Secka: How long did you stay in The Gambia during the period of these meetings?

Gassama: I spend two weeks in The Gambia.

Lawyer Secka: And it was during these two weeks that the meetings took place?

Gassama: Yes.

Lawyer Secka: Do you remember whether the two accused persons (Lang Tombong and BO Badjie) were in service during this period?

Gassama: No they where not in service.

Lawyer Secka: Am putting it to you that the 1st accused (Lang Tombong) left service on 9th October, 2009?

Gassama: I cannot remember.

Lawyer Secka: You said it was during the three meetings you were paid thirty thousand Euros and an extra five thousand.

Gassama: Yes.

Lawyer Secka: After you were paid, did you give any receipt to the accused persons (Lang and BO Badjie)?

Gassama: I did not give them any receipt.

Lawyer Secka: How long did you start training the mercenaries after receiving the money?

Gassama: About a week.

Lawyer Secka: How long did you stay in The Gambia after receiving the money?

Gassama: I did not remember.

Lawyer Secka: When where you arrested, by the Guinean authorities?

Gassama: I did not remember the date, because no man is perfect.

Lawyer Secka: How many days have you been in detention?

Gassama: I cannot remember the days.

Lawyer Secka: How many times have you been arrested in your lifetime?

Gassama: Never in my life.

Lawyer Secka: The first time you were arrested in your life, you cannot remember that?

Gassama: Yes.

Lawyer Secka: Do you want the court to believe that this is your only arrest in your life and you cannot remember how many days?

Gassama: Yes, I want the court to believe me.

Lawyer Secka: In you evident in chief did you say that you were to receive the money to buy the boat and then you were arrested the following Monday?

Gassama: Yes, I said so.

Lawyer Secka: Am putting it to you that 17th of December meet you under detention in Guinea Bissau?

Gassama: Yes.

Lawyer Secka: Do you know the date of the last Tobaski in 2009?

Gassama: I did not remember the date.

Lawyer Secka: Am putting it to you that Tobaski Day 2009 was on 27th November 2009?

Gassama: I did not know.

Lawyer Secka: And that Tobaski Day according your statement is the day the alleged coup was to take place?

Gassama: Yes.

Lawyer Secka: How were you to receive the money for the purchase of the boat?

Gassama: Ngorr Secka and Kukoi were to call me and tell me which bank they were to send the money in Bissau
for me to receive it, since am having Guinean nationality.

Lawyer Secka: In Ebrima Marreh’s evident before this court he said both meetings took place in Lang Tombong Tamba’s house?

Gassama: He said it not me.

Lawyer Secka: I am putting it to you that Ngorr Secka never met you at Samaritan restaurant in Bissau?

Gassama: we used to meet each other there several times; I was the one who used to lead him because he did not know Bissau.

Lawyer Secka: You stated that Lang Tombong and BO Badjie used to call you while you were in Bissau?

Gassama: Yes, I said so.

Lawyer Secka: Did you also give the number they used to call you to the court?

Gassama: I was not asked by the court.

Lawyer Secka: Did the authorities have the print out calls you received while in Bissau?

Gassama: Yes, they have it.

Lawyer Secka: Did dose print outs confirm that you use to receive calls from Lang Tombong and BO Badjie?

Gassama: They always called me with a private number.

Lawyer Secka: You said one of the reasons for the alleged coup plot was that the President is putting women in higher authority than me.

Gassama: Yes, I said so.

Lawyer Secka: Did you notice the presence of solders in Lang Tombong Tamba’s house?

Gassama: I did not.

Lawyer Secka: In your statement, you said that in those meetings you notice two solders with camouflage uniforms.

Gassama: Yes, I said so and I added that I saw two men with camouflage uniforms but I did not know whether they are solders.

Lawyer Secka: You made a statement on the 8th February 2010?

Gassama: I did not remember the day.

Lawyer Secka: You did not remember the date about the motive of the coup?

Gassama: Yes.

Lawyer Secka: I put it to you that, the statement was made on 8th February 2010?

Gassama: I told you I could not remember the date.

Lawyer Secka: Where did you made the statement?

Gassama: At the NIA office.

Lawyer Secka: Am putting it to you that in your that statement you said you were called at the DPP’s Office were you were asked by him about the motive of the
coup and whether Lang and BO Badjie were part of the coup?

Gassama: I said I went to see the DPP to explain to him the reason of the coup, after he asked me to return to the NIA Headquarters to add it in the statement, because
I told them before but they did not indicate it there.

Lawyer Secka: You called yourself an expert military intelligent officer.

Gassama: Yes.

Lawyer Secka: As an expert in military intelligence didn’t you know that the Director General of NIA has direct contact with the President?

Gassama: Is how it should be but this one is not like that, because we were to see the secretary general office of the president to book an appointment to see the
president.

Lawyer Secka: Do you know the Director General of the NIA at that time?

Gassama: Yes.

What is his name?

Gassama: Numo Kujabi, the present Director General of NIA.

Gassama: When did you return to The Gambia after the third meeting at Lang Tombong house?

Gassama: I cannot remember.

Lawyer Secka: Do you know Lang Tombong and BO Badjie were arrested on 20th November, 2009?

Gassama: I did not remember the day, until the time I came to The Gambia.

Lawyer Secka: Do you mean when you came in The Gambia to give a statement?

Gassama: Yes.

Lawyer Secka: Am putting it to you that this whole idea of coup plot known to you is not true?

Gassama: It is true.

Lawyer Secka: Am putting it to you that you cannot produce any straight evident to confirm your false story, that you were engaged in training mercenaries for the
alleged coup plot?

Gassama: It is not false.

Lawyer Secka: You said in your evident that one of your works was to sell drug seized from other people by the Government of Guinea Bissau?

Gassama: Yes, because the minister of Interior Basiru Darboe, Minister of Defence and the Chief of Defence Staff are all my friends. They give the drug to me to sell
because I know it more than them.

Secka: Am putting it to you that you are not a businessman, you are a drug dealer.

Gassama: Yes.

Lawyer Secka: Do you want tell the court the drug you sold to Ngorr Secka was purchase from Momodou Trawally?

Gassama: I cannot know that, because the drug I used to receive is many.

Lawyer Secka: Do you remember saying in your evident in chief that Lang Tombong introduces you Ebrima Marreh (PW1)?

Gassama: Yes, I said so.

Lawyer Secka: In your statement of 23rd December 2009, do you remember saying that you only know Ebrima Marreh when you confronted him at NIA?

Gassama: Yes, I said so. VOL:2 ISSN:152

No comments:

Post a Comment

The views expressed in this section are the authors' own. It does not represent The North Bank Evening Standard (TNBES)'s editorial policy. Also, TNBES is not responsible for content on external links.