Saturday, April 14, 2012

Journalist Darboe Breaks Silence Over ‘Threats’

Gambian Journalist, Alieu Darboe

Friday, April 13, 2012

The Daily News’ Alieu Darboe has Monday broken silence over suspected threats posed by an unidentified person.

The Brikama town based reporter has observed that someone has been stalking him for the past four months. 


“Whenever I close from work, mostly in the night or busy on other issues, this person stalks me as I go home,” he says. 


The suspected threat became somewhat evident to Journalist Darboe on Sunday midnight when he attended a wedding and headed home. 


 “It was the same man,” he says, “he used to keep a distance of 80-100 meters and pretend to be talking on his cell phone.


“But this time round, he followed me up to my compound gate. Some hours later, late in the night I was awoken by a noise at my door and saw a flashing of torchlight inside my house.


“I wanted to go out, but my wife stopped me. When I peeped through the window, I saw him climbed the fence. He was wearing a black jumper and combat boots.”


On Monday, Alieu has reported the matter at the police station at Brikama Kabafita. His statement was taken and was given a reference number.


Journalist Darboe faced a similar incident in 2008 while he was reporting for the defunct Independent, a private newspaper believed to have been closed by Gambian authorities. 


Source: The Daily News

No comments:

Post a Comment

The views expressed in this section are the authors' own. It does not represent The North Bank Evening Standard (TNBES)'s editorial policy. Also, TNBES is not responsible for content on external links.