Saturday, October 2, 2010

Police PRO Warns Drivers on Biometric Licence


Banjul, The Gambia (TNBES) The Police Public Relations Officer, Superintendent Sulayman Secka has said that “with effect from 17th January 2010, the ‘green licence’ (booklet) will expire and will no longer be validated.”

He stressed that all drivers should get the biometric licence and that applicants should appear in person before getting the licence.

“We are no more giving licence to anybody who does not appear before us. If the applicant gets the biometric identity card, his or her serial number will bring out the person’s details, after which the applicant will be subjected to a traffic signs test in practice. If the applicant is qualified he or she will be issued with the new biometric licence,” Secka revealed.

According to him, the cost of the new biometric licence is pegged at D500.00, an increment of D200.

The question is whether the police can issue to all drivers a biometric licence with the shortest possible time, as the deadline for the expiry of the old licence is too close.

EX-KMC MAYOR, LAI CONTEH IN COURT


Prosecutor Wants Conteh to Enter a Plea Bargain
Banjul, The Gambia (TNBES) The North Bank Evening Standard has gathered that Mr. Lai Conteh, a former Mayor of the Kanifing Municipal Council who is charged with Economic Crime and Fraud on Monday 11th January appeared before Justice Moses Richards of the Criminal Division of the Banjul High Court.
According to the Foroyaa Newspaper in Banjul, when the case was called, the Deputy Director of Public Prosecution (DDPP), Milkalive Abdoulie told the Court that the State is ready and is proposing a plea bargain for the defence to decide or make a choice. He added that they are waiting to hear a plea bargain proposal from the side of the defence.
One of the defence Counsels, Lamin S. Camara argued that the only thing they are proposing is the acquittal and discharge of Mr. Conteh of all the charges proffered against him. Camara added that all that they want from the State is to drop all the charges against the accused person.
Camara argued that the State cannot just tell them to propose a plea bargain like that.
The Newspaper reported on Thursday 14th January, 2010 that Justice Richards intervened and urged both sides to come to terms with a proposal of a plea bargain. Richards stated that the case had been registered with his Court some three months before Mr. Conteh appeared before him. He added that the State cannot keep the charges hanging without the accused knowing his fate.

CUSTODIAL SENTENCE FOR DAILY EXPRESS MD


The Newspaper Boss Pleaded Guilty for Uttering False Documents
Banjul, The Gambia (TNBES) A publication by the Daily Observer Newspaper on Wednesday 13th January, 2010 stated that the presiding Judge, Justice Joseph Wowo of The High Court in Banjul has sentenced the Managing Director of Daily Express Newspaper in The Gambia, Chibuzo Oguike to serve one year custodial sentence after he (the accused) pleaded guilty to a criminal offence of uttering false documents.
The Daily Express boss was charged with five counts forgery, obtaining goods by false pretence, obtaining credit by false pretence, making documents without lawful authority, and making documents, contrary to the laws of The Gambia.
The accused com convict was alleged to have gone to the International Commercial Bank and requested to be granted an overdraft facility of D25, 000 claiming that he has a contract with Gamcel worth D151, 000.
The accused was alleged to have presented contract documents from Gamcel (a GSM Company) to the Bank and the Bank requested the accused to bring an overtaking letter from Gamcel to remit all payments due to him into his account with the said Bank.

Gambia Makes World Record, Received GAVI Award

Banjul, The Gambia (TNBES) The Gambia, in its drive to meet the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) by 2020 and as stipulated in the National Blue Print Vision 2020 (Silicon Valley of Africa) has made a world record having received the World Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization (GAVI) Award.
The award was in recognition of the country’s Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI) and as well as the high immunization coverage over the past five years. It also coupled with the fact that The Gambia is the second country in Africa to introduce Pneumococcal Vaccine into its routine immunization programme.
The global award was jointly given to The Gambia by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Funds (UNICEF) as part of countries assessment on health intervention programme and performance given to respective countries, in particular, the level of immunization achieved for the past five years.
The award was presented to The Gambia in November 2009 in Vietnam (Hanoi) during the last GAVI Partner’s Forum Meeting and was received on behalf of the Minister of Health and Social Welfare by the Deputy Permanent Secretary at the Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Dr. Omar Sey.
Speaking to journalist shortly after the presentation of the award on 12th January, 2010 at the Health Ministry in Banjul, the Deputy Permanent Secretary Technical at the Ministry of Health, Dr. Sheikh Omar Touray said the award was given to The Gambia government in recognition of the country’s laudable effort and achievement in the areas of immunization programme.
He said that compared to other countries, The Gambia’s commitment to immunization programme was very significant, despite the challenges encountered. “The Gambia has been ranked by the WHO as one of the best countries in providing immunization to its citizens,” he said.
For her part, Mrs. Yamundow Jallow, the National Programme Manager of EPI said that their main target is to reduce childhood morbidity and mortality by providing vaccines to prevent diseases such as poliomyelitis, measles.
She added that they also targeted diseases like tuberculosis, yellow fever, hepatitis B, PCV-7 and other related diseases.
According to her, since 2004, the EPI has never experienced a situation where a vaccine goes out of stock. “Vaccines for the programme are all ordered through UNICEF to ensure quality stock,” she said. VOL:2 ISSN:26

GPA Returned with Zeal

Banjul, The Gambia (NBES) The Gambia Ports Authority has announced its presence in the GFA First Division League with zeal as they managed a well deserved victory over Samger in their opening match.
The Champions of the second division seemed determined to secure top flight title with a 2-1 defeat to the Academy Boys at the Serrekunda West Football Ground, however their quest and determination needs much to be desired as this year’s season has just began.
Ports Authority’s Cherno Njie put his side on the lead within 25 minutes of the game
Samger, who are in their third year in top Gambian football have been a force to be recon with considering their results with big sides. However, their goalkeeper’s carelessness cost them and other goal.
Blaise Lama tried to dribble an opponent in his own court but Cherno Njie move towards the shot-stopper led to a poor clearance and Njie had all the time in the world and put his side with a 2-0 lead in the 60th minute.
Samger only managed a consolation in the 71st minute, through Kissima Bojang. Buba Jallow did come close on two occasions but he missed both chances and seemed not to know what the clock was ticking. VOL:2 ISSN:23